Our tour will take you through the charming area of Yanaka – one of the few remaining districts in Tokyo where the shitamachi (downtown) atmosphere
Our tour will take you through the charming area of Yanaka – one of the few remaining districts in Tokyo where the shitamachi (downtown) atmosphere– a feeling of Tokyo from past decades, still survives. The Yanaka area is filled with a feeling of nostalgia and a rustic charm. Our tour will offer you a sightseeing opportunity different from the “big city” feel of other parts of Tokyo. Yanaka was one of the few areas in that survived the Great Kanto Earthquake and Fire of 1923 and was spared the Allied fire bombings during the WWII. The area has a history as an artisan town where many famous writers and visual artists lived an worked. Today it retains a similar spirit and an afternoon stroll down the tiny side streets that dissect the area south of Nippori Station will highlight the diversity of craft still being produced in the area: textiles, ink prints, wood carvings, traditional cuisines, stationery, pottery, jewelry, and much more. We will have the chance to try local street snacks, stop by shops that are over 100 years old, see local shrines and temples and have a delicious teishoku (lunch set) before we end our tour with a traditional tea ceremony.
- 3-hour tour of Tokyo’s Yanaka (Yanesen) District
- Visit small shops and try local specialties.
- Enjoy a typical “Teishoku” lunch set at a charming local eatery.
- See how the Yanaka area is a great place for locals and visitors alike.
- Explore the art community and see wonderful galleries housed in traditional buildings.
- Finish up with a wonderful traditional tea ceremony in a hidden gem antique shop.
- LUNCH IN RESTAURANT
- WALKING LEVEL MODERATE
- SHOPPING TIME
Price per person:
Children: $62.10 (7,100 JPY)
Infant: 0-3 years old (Free)
The front of Coffee Room Renoir Nippori – Yanaka
this address: 7 -20-6 Yanaka, 1st Floor
You can copy and paste this to Google Maps:
東京都台東区谷中7-20-6 谷中ホ－ムズ 1F
The easiest way is to come on the JR Yamanote train to Nippori Station and exit from the North Gate to the West Exit.
Wednesday-Saturday Meeting Time: 10:15 am
Start Time: 10:30 am
End Time: 1:30 pm
- Confirmation will be received at the time of booking.
- Children must be accompanied by an adult. Passport information copy is required for kids 10 and above.
- A minimum of 2 people per booking is required.
- Please advise any specific dietary requirements at the time of booking.
- Minimum of 2 people needed to book this tour.
Price and Booking
- Yanaka Ginza, Tokyo
- Culinary, Culture
- 3 hours
- Dec 7th to Dec 31st
- 10:15 a.m.
- 7 -20-6 Yanaka, 1st Floor